POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Eval in POV-ray : Re: Eval in POV-ray Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:26:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Eval in POV-ray
From: Nikodemus Siivola
Date: 10 Sep 2001 04:08:00
Message: <3b9c74e0@news.povray.org>
"Ron Parker" <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote in message:

> Do reflect on the fact that 4.0 will be a complete rewrite and that 3.5
> took this long to get out.  I wouldn't make any short-term plans around
> 4.0.

Don't worry - planning isn't my strong suite... ;) Seriously, though I
cannot help but wonder what baselines has the team set for 4.0:

- how open will the development model be
- what will the license be
- in what direction will the SDL go

> priority.  What are you wanting to do with system that you can't do with
> preframe shellout?

Basically I just don't like not being able to call the system during
parsing. I don't like being sandboxed -- but since you asked: ;)

For example:

    #while( i < n )
        #if( i == k )
            system( "makestone -10 -r -fm2 -o stone.mesh2" )
            #declare Stone = #include "stone.mesh2"
        #else
            object{ Stone translate Trans(i) )
        #end
    #end

Now imagine the stone being a huge mesh...

It would be even better if I could treat the STOUD of another program as
being cut and pasted into where the system directive was:

    #declare Stone = system( "makestone -10 -r", pipe )

...yeah. I realize it is not a priority. ;(

 -- Nikodemus Siivola