POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Eval in POV-ray : Re: Eval in POV-ray Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:22:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Eval in POV-ray
From: Nikodemus Siivola
Date: 9 Sep 2001 18:23:58
Message: <3b9bebfe@news.povray.org>
"Ron Parker" <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote:

> There was a patch at one time that implemented a system-like directive.
> In fact, I think it was even called "system."  Such a patch has serious
> security implications, so you'll probably never see it in the official
> POV-Ray, and it's a violation of POVLEGAL, so you'll never see it in a
> legal unofficial version either.

Maybe in 4.0/derivatives then, since having just read the license it is
given to understand that a more liberal license maybe coming up?

As for the security implications, it would IMO be next to trivial to
implement a switch that would turn of all potentially harmful
functionalities (system and fwrite, for example), or even better: function
along the lines of taint checks in various other languages (Perl and Ruby
come to mind).

   -- Nikodemus