POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : (Mac) Mesh question : Re: (Mac) Mesh question Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: (Mac) Mesh question
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 9 Sep 2001 14:47:07
Message: <3b9bb92b@news.povray.org>
In article <3B9B9FD8.AF9A4A6F@telia.com> , Tom Stone <tom### [at] teliacom>
wrote:

> But this format have always been reserved for PC's since it was created,
> before it was included in 3.5.

There is nothing PC specific about it.  If someone would just take the time
and write programs that can export to it on the Mac, there would be no
problem using it.  Oh, and of course it is always possible to code a mesh by
hand ;-)

> Mac-specific things that I would like to see in the Mac version, like for
> example the ability to use TrueType fonts (if it is technically possible).

TrueType font has been improved a lot in 3.5.  Try to use some of the fonts
you have installed.  For example open ":scenes:objects:ttf1.pov" and change
the font used in there from "crystal.ttf" to "times.ttf" or just plain
"times".  This should work at least with Mac OS 9 and later, but it may also
work with Mac OS 8.x but I didn't test it there.  It will also most likely
not work with all Mac fonts, but at least with most of the default ones.

Of course, as the Mac docs haven't been written yet, you couldn't know about
this feature...

Basically the conversion of TrueType fonts with the simple utility that was
included with 3.1g.r2 has now been merged into the Mac specific backend code
(the same hooks that allow the Windows version to filter file/pathnames for
IO restrictions allow the Mac version i.e. to do these font tricks).

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde