POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : bug: render window doesn't preserve image aspect ratio : Re: bug: render window doesn't preserve image aspect ratio Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:23:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bug: render window doesn't preserve image aspect ratio
From: Chris Cason
Date: 9 Sep 2001 00:34:46
Message: <3b9af166@news.povray.org>
> to allow the user to select the desired behavior (buggy vs correct) through

The current behaviour is not a bug. Therefore it is not 'buggy', and in fact
is 'correct' (in that it works as designed).

The manner in which the maximize feature works is entirely intentional and is
designed to give the viewer the most information rather than an accurate ren-
dition of the real-sized image.

Consider if they were rendering a 1280x8 pixel image and had a screen resolution
of 1280x1024. Without the vertical stretching they'd get no additional information
from the maximization of the render window. Consider if they were rendering a
2000x16 image on a sysem with a res of 800x600. If aspect ration preservation was
in place, they would actually -lose- vertical resolution by maximizing the image.
Remember that the full screen view is designed to shrink as well as zoom.

Considering that the current behaviour is not a bug, and that it has been the same
since the very first release of POVWIN more than six years ago, the requested change
is very definitely a feature request rather than a bug fix.

That said, I may consider adding it as an option (I really don't want to since it
means re-doing the menu snapshots and help for whatever menu I add it to ...) but
I'll keep it in mind.

-- Chris