POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : [Win] Save_as destroys original file : Re: [Win] Save_as destroys original file Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:16:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [Win] Save_as destroys original file
From: Bob H
Date: 9 Sep 2001 00:30:00
Message: <3b9af048@news.povray.org>
"Y" <out### [at] huntelnet> wrote in message
> "Dave Dunn"  wrote
> : The file destruction was definitely true in 3.1, as it is in 3.5. I
guess I
> : stopped noticing it when I got myself in the habit of saving the file
under the
> : new name *before* making any changes. But now that you mention it, it
would be
> : nice if it didn't do that.
> :
> Exactly the reason I forgot about it too ...
> Turning Auto-Reload to 'Never" does correct this but I'm
> not certain what feature I lose by doing that.

Well, well, well.  That explains my messed up camera Insert menu text files!
I knew I had done it right but I was going from file to file by using Save
as... after each edit.
Ha ha, Auto Reload is set to Ask here.  So what I must have been doing is
answering OK or Yes to the question each time.  And I do remember something
like that going on now.  I think I usually say not to reload, figuring on
the reasoning I know the file doesn't need to be.  Actually without really
knowing what I was ever doing too, so now I understand that for certain.
Thanks to you guys.

No telling what files I scrambled besides over time; no matter I suppose, as
long as those bak files are intact after the fact.

Bob H.