POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : strange results with evaluate : Re: strange results with evaluate Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:21:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: strange results with evaluate
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 8 Sep 2001 17:14:41
Message: <3b9a8a41@news.povray.org>
In article <3b9a7fa6@news.povray.org> , "JRG" <jrg### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> Evalute 1,10,0.99 leads to strange results and slow renderings (I got 400
> max_gradient ?!)

Well, if it suggests a gradient of 400 then your function probably has a
fairly big max_gradient.  it is normal that rendering is sow with evaluate,
so once you set the max_gradient and remove evaluate it should be much
faster.  Also note that not always the first found max_gradient by evaluate
will be the real maximum (also it should give good results without holes in
most cases) and it is possible that a bigger max_gradient is reported in
later renders.

> Shouldn't  1,1,0.99 be a good starting point? (1,10,0.99 is suggested by the
> doc).

For the "average" function yes, but not for all functions.

> Sorry if this sounds like a silly question: what should isosurface speed
> performances be campared to MegaPov's? I'm asking this because Warp's torus
> (see image posted in p-b-i) takes more to render in POV 3.5.

It depends on the complexity and some other factors.  More complex functions
will be much faster while very simple functions will be a bit slower because
of more overhead (that in turn allow faster complex isosurfaces).  Also,
functions that don't call other user defined function will be faster than
those that call lots of other user defined function.  Further, note that
function complexity limits are practically non-existing in POV-Ray 3.5
compared to the really simple functions that could be done with MegaPOV.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.