POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : translating cylinders : Re: translating cylinders (another question) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 06:20:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: translating cylinders (another question)
From: KalleK
Date: 4 Sep 2001 12:21:07
Message: <3b94ff73$1@news.povray.org>
> Thanks and how do I 'soften' the background with area_lights?

Your question is not quite clear to me. area_lights are only used
to soften shadows. To see shadows you need another object, for
example a plane at y*0.
Than you can copy an area_light from the docs, and see if it
helps to soften the shadows.

You can't soften a backgroung that is made just of background{}
statement, because in such a statement only a single color is
permitted. And you don't get soft effects with a single color.
Maybe you want to use a sky_sphere (see the docs) with a pattern
and a color_map for some color-bleeding.

cukk