POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Grime example : Re: Grime example (and a POV one) Server Time
17 Aug 2024 18:20:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Grime example (and a POV one)
From: Bob H
Date: 31 Aug 2001 22:53:22
Message: <3b904da2@news.povray.org>
"Daniel Matthews" <lig### [at] bigpondnetau> wrote in message
news:675### [at] 3-enet...
> If you wish to see the hires image of the ball, I save saved it here
>
> http://binalong.hypermart.net/grimeball.rar
>
> Warning, the file download is just under 6.7MB !!

No matter, Cable Modem helps here. ;-)

It's as if the texture is shifted to the left, doesn't look right to me.

Unfortunately I did mine using POV-Ray v3.5, not available yet to the
public.  Don't go e-mailing TAG Team people about it please!  It will be out
someday soon, just be patient.

Anyway, there's some changes to the way it works from MegaPOV so it would be
pointless to post it for now.
I'm not an avid isosurface maker so I can't be sure if I'm not adjusting
things as well as could be.  If you look at the animation I posted to p.b.a.
you can easily see concentric rings that are not a part of the mpeg
encoding.  Can see them in the jpeg here too actually.
The texture_map (and it is just a texture map, spherical type) gets somehow
distorted onto the isosurface surface.  Using a high 'accuracy' (higher is
less in this case) it tends to vanish, and I used 'evaluate' to try and
adjust 'max_gradient' without good results avail.
Same goes for using a better accuracy, the surface becomes fragmented and
adjusting max_gradient doen't help.
But like I say, I'm not a expert at iso's so I don't know if there is a
genuine problem with POV or whether I'm not hitting upon the best
parameters.

Bob H.