POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : splines and animation : Re: splines and animation Server Time
8 Jul 2024 08:56:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: splines and animation
From: K  Lasse
Date: 31 Aug 2001 15:56:24
Message: <3b8febe8$1@news.povray.org>
Marc,

I know what you're looking for... I've requested this feature for a long
time now... you'd like to be able to fully control the path that the camera,
a light or another object travels over the course of the animation time.
Blender has the capability of attaching a camera to a path spline (except
that blender cannot - as far as I know - output raytrace-quality
animations...). The bugger with the cubic interpolation in the anim plugin
is that it tends to cause a "hook" of motion at the ends of the travel path.
(Perhaps other methods of interpolation would be possible, Xander, or at
least the ability to assign a different method to each keyframe (i.e..
linear for the first frame and last frame and cubic for the ones in
between...)?)

One trick that I've recently tried and been successful with is to link the
camera's position to an object and then cause the object to move the way you
want it to. This may sound like a redundant step, but think about trying to
get the camera to move along a smooth arc path - it has no rotate transform!
Well, simply create two spheres at a given distance apart that you'd like
the radius of motion to be, combine them into a group and rotate the group
around the center of one of the spheres. Then attaching the camera's
position to the other sphere causes the camera to follow an arcing path.
Turn off the export of the spheres and you're set. Adding positional
transforms to the camera affects only its relational position to it's
"attach-parent" object - this allows more options of "tweaking" its path.

Just some thots...
-Kman