POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : rad vs. global illumination : rad vs. global illumination Server Time
17 Aug 2024 20:17:30 EDT (-0400)
  rad vs. global illumination
From: Norbert Kern
Date: 29 Aug 2001 16:04:17
Message: <3b8d4ac1@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

I want to show someting new on my old boring "warm_up".
The image was made with a 11 point lights to simulate global illumination at
that time.
Christoph Hormann recommended the use of radiosity repeatedly.
Eight days back Kari Kivisalo wrote 1 bounce radiosity would be as fast as
the use of point lights to simulate global illumination.
So I show 2 trials with different rad settings.
The first image was done with simple settings:

                pretrace_start 1
                pretrace_end   1
                count 30
                recursion_limit 2
                low_error_factor 0.5
                brightness 1.2

The result is similar to using shadowless fill lights, but it rendered
within 16 h (about 4 times faster than the original would have rendered with
AA0.3).

The second image was done with better settings:

                pretrace_start 0.08
                pretrace_end   0.005
                count 120
                recursion_limit 1
                low_error_factor 0.25
                brightness 1

Much better, but not as good as with faked "global illumination". Render
time was similar to the original (
http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/2001-06-30/warm_up.jpg ).

I think, point ligths simulating global illumination can be sometimes better
than radiosity.

Comments?

Norbert

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'warm_upRada.jpg' (74 KB) Download 'warm_upRadb.jpg' (75 KB)

Preview of image 'warm_upRada.jpg'
warm_upRada.jpg

Preview of image 'warm_upRadb.jpg'
warm_upRadb.jpg