POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Vim 6.0 in final beta [OT] : Re: Vim 6.0 in final beta [OT] Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:26:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vim 6.0 in final beta [OT]
From: Warp
Date: 29 Aug 2001 09:07:29
Message: <3b8ce911@news.povray.org>
It seemed to compile and run without problems in this Sun Ultra 5 with
Solaris 7.

  However, I have never understood these vi editors. They are the most
user-unfriendly editors I have ever seen.
  Even though Emacs is very user-unfriendly, at least it works with some
logic by default:

  - When you start emacs and give it a file to edit, it opens the file and
lets you edit it right away, as any text editor would do. That is, you can
write text, delete text and so on, as it's usual with a text editor.

  - If you have modified the text and try to exit (if you can figure out how
to exit, which has been made incredibly difficult by default), it asks if
you want to save the file before exiting and gives you the easy choice of
pressing 'y' or 'n'.

  - If Emacs is run under X, it automatically opens an X window with enhanced
capabilities (because it's not anymore restricted to what a terminal can do).

  However, these vi editors are just incredibly user-unfriendly. You just
CAN'T use them right away. It's completely impossible:

  - When you start it and give it a file to edit, you can't edit it right
away. Pressing characters only give beeps, pressing enter does nothing but
move the cursor a line down. And there's absolutely no hint about how could
you possibly modify the text.

  - Of course exiting the whole editor has been made incredibly difficult,
even more difficult than in Emacs. Also if you somehow have manage to modify
the text and somehow discover how to exit, it just refuses to exit.

  - When run under X, it doesn't start in X mode by default. At least in the
X mode it's easier to exit (just close the window; it even asks in a
user-friendly way if you want to save).

--
#macro N(D,I)#if(I<6)cylinder{M()#local D[I]=div(D[I],104);M().5,2pigment{
rgb M()}}N(D,(D[I]>99?I:I+1))#end#end#macro M()<mod(D[I],13)-6,mod(div(D[I