POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : --- : Re: Server Time
17 Aug 2024 20:19:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re:
From: Paragon
Date: 28 Aug 2001 21:25:44
Message: <3b8c4498@news.povray.org>
Thank you for the reply but it seems to have not done the trick.  I tried
taking away the reflection from the glass material as well as increasing the
max_trace_level but I still get the black distortions (even with very high
max_trace_levels).  I have attached the files for the scene if anybody
wishes to try their hand at it.

-Paragon

> > I've been experimenting with glass and have come
> > across some problems...
> >                                          ...the shot glass has all those
> > black inconsistencies.  There are walls covering all sides
> > of the objects, so the black is not anything reflected or
> > refracted.
>
>     First off, HTML posts are frowned upon by most people round here (yes,
> even in the binaries groups)...
>
>     Now to answer your question - Whilst you are right the black bits
aren't
> reflections of anything in your scene, they are caused by reflection...
try
> removing the reflection from the glass material and the black bits should
> disappear...
>     You see, what's happening is the combination of reflection and
> refraction is causing 'total internal reflection' - where the rays POV is
> calculating bounce around and around inside the glass without leaving - of
> course POV won't do this forever - it only calculates upto a finite amount
> of reflections and if it hasn't calculated a colour within that number it
> just colors the pixel black.
>     Fortunately you can specify how many reflections POV calculates - I
> don't know how you do it in Moray, but you can add the following to top of
> your .pov file :
>
> global_setting { max_trace_level <level> }
>
>     where <level> is the number of reflections you wish it to calculate -
> now the only problem is you may find that you never get rid of the black
> bits completely and the higher the value for max_trace_level you pick the
> longer POV will spend rendering these parts of the scene...
> --
> Scott Hill.
> Software Engineer.
> E-Mail        : sco### [at] innocentcom
> Pandora's Box : http://www.pandora-software.com
>
> *Everything in this message/post is purely IMHO and no-one-else's*

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'whiskey.zip' (6 KB)