POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : test with depth of field : Re: test with depth of field Server Time
18 Aug 2024 02:14:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: test with depth of field
From: JRG
Date: 26 Aug 2001 15:11:57
Message: <3b8949fd@news.povray.org>
"Jari Juslin" <zds### [at] ikifi> ha scritto nel messaggio
> JRG wrote:
> > Simple scene to test some metallic textures.
>
> Nice pic. What metals are the spheres supposed to present? The "iron"
> ones (white) look very real. The yellow ones (gold? brass?) do not look
> very good. They look more like a plastic metallic spheres hung on x-mas
> tree than real metal.

To me they look right, but de gustibus non est disputandum... ;)

>I encountered similar problems when I tried to
> create realistic antique gold texture based on your magnificent
> iridescent metal but failed miserably.

Which metal? I don't think to remember something like that.

>I think at the basic problem with
> your spheres is that they are too polished and reflective; real gold
> tends to not reflect a much, but instead it has highlights that have
> this far been resisted all my attemps to model them with POV-Ray.
> Combining strong highlites with a little different colour than the
> diffuse color of the metal and possibly using blurred reflection is my
> best guess right now.

Now that you make me notice that, I think youre right... In fact I'm using
finish_D (highly polished and reflective) from my metals.inc... the problem
here is that I have no gold here at the moment...;) BTW I think that (with
POV) it's best designing your metal textures according to the scene you're
developing. It's sad having to admit that there aren't settings which
combine physical correctness to realism at all (at least with POV)...

> In fact I almost came to conclusion that it's impossible to model
> real-looking gold with POV-Ray, but you guys have repeatedly proved my
> asumptations of this kind false, so I expect you to do it this time too.
> One problem with gold is that it is not possible to have a real life
> look at any golden item, that would have big smooth surfaces. I have to
> rely on few very small gold items I own and to pictures. And almost all
> the pictures are taken in studio environments, with no possibility to
> know about lighting, surroundings etc. I have also noticed, that ancient
> gold items semm to look more greenish, at least on hightlights, than
> modern gold items - is this due to differences in alloy, environment of
> the items in photographs or something completely else is something I
> have not been able to find out this far.

Normals or displacing can be handy here:

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'gold.jpg' (63 KB)

Preview of image 'gold.jpg'