POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : Where have all the POVers gone? : Re: Where have all the POVers gone? Server Time
28 Sep 2024 13:20:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where have all the POVers gone?
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 26 Aug 2001 12:29:38
Message: <3b8923f2@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle wrote:

> 13 entries this round.
> 4 use POV-Ray.
> 1 uses Blender.
> The other eight all use some $$$ renderer.
> What gives?

First, I'm highly suspicious that I have often been competing against
portfolio dumps  of pre-existing material from professional teams using
some $$$ renderer.

Second, I think that the judging tends to favor camera pans through
exhaustively boring and exhaustively photorealistic scenes that tell no
story. Better to tell absoluely no story at all than give the readers
something that requires some thinking.

Of course there are exceptions like Rusty, which is an icon, an epic of
IRTC.

These two claims are just sour-grapes from an opinionated old fart, but
this does make me feel less likely to invest my time in an IRTC
creation. I don't mean to disparage the winners but these are some of
the reaons I've been reluctant to participate.