POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : moray 2 dxf : Re: Moray2dxf, 3dWin and TrueSpace Server Time
8 Jul 2024 10:10:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Moray2dxf, 3dWin and TrueSpace
From: Anoop Kumar
Date: 23 Aug 2001 13:21:16
Message: <3b853b8c@news.povray.org>
Hi Angbandit,

Angbandit wrote in message <3b848d6b@news.povray.org>...
Looking back at
>the software used to make the original Myst

Wasn't that Strata StudioPro? I have the freeware (& now, discontinued)
version with me.

>constantly... but was I ever wrong.  First I need the tools.  I could
wander
>all over the net looking for a copy of "ahem" 3dmax... but I just don't
want

3dsMax costs the earth (by my standards, atleast:-)) and has a quite steep
learning level. (Though, if you can learn Pov-Ray, there's absolutely no
reason you can't learn that, too) I would suggest you look at Blender if
Moray doesn't give you what you want (I really don't know much about
game-modelling, sorry,  excepting the little I read when learning 3dsMax).
It has quite a few advantages over Moray in *that* field. In that they are
concentrating on game-making (& so have tools specifically for that
purpose - AND you can tutorials dealing with that).

Also, you can use Python within it to make it go even further - including
scripts for exporting to Povray/BMRT etc. AND plugins like  'blend2ter'
which allow you to export_to/import_from Terragen, that quite
wonderful landscape modeller/renderer.

Check out these links if you have the time:
http://www.blendermania.com/gallery
http://www.planetannihilation.com/terragen/blendertuts.shtml
http://www.users.skynet.be/sky33676/ter2blend1.html
(the rendering may not be of Pov-Ray's standards but probably good enough
for most games. And you can always export to Pov-Ray and fine-tune it.)

It has an obtuse interface that may take a bit getting used to but, once
you get past that barrier, it's surprising simple to use. Also, like with
Pov-Ray, there are a lot of tutors available and a lot of very helpful
people.

I hate sounding like a salesman but do try it - you'll be surprised.

Regards,
-Anoop