POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : moray 2 dxf : Re: Moray2dxf, 3dWin and TrueSpace Server Time
8 Jul 2024 09:20:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Moray2dxf, 3dWin and TrueSpace
From: Anoop Kumar
Date: 21 Aug 2001 12:25:44
Message: <3b828b88@news.povray.org>
Hi Angbandit,

While I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as you seem to think but I'll try
my level best to answer . I'm not sure it will work as I've just started
'lookintg' into the landscape programs to try to use it in my work. But
here goes:

>to do is make decent landforms... not heightfields but more like...
>something you would get if you exported out of Leveller.  Lately, whatever
>get out of Leveller and put into Moray doesn't seem to want to render in
>POVray.  I use 3dWin to transfer from a dxf to a Povray/Moray format.

Actually this *should* work, unless you're trying to use it in CSG.
But you could alternatively try something like this:
1. Export to RAW & then create it as a RAW object in Moray. Maybe could be
even used in CSG, if you're lucky.
2.Create your landscape in Terragenand open it in Forester - there's
freeware versions of both too if you want. Export your Moray to pov format
and composite both in Forester (there's a tutorial on the site for
converting & using other objects in forester) Then fine-tune in PovRay.
3. Export from whatever program as a heightfield map (bmp?tga? - is this
the correct terminology?) then create a plane (or whatever) and apply the
map to it.
4. Use the 'mesh importer' plugin from Alexander Enzmann - imports 3ds and
Wavefront (?) works quite well, far as I remember
5. Try either/all of this or wait for somebody *really* knowledgeable like
Baier, Lutz himself, Warp (a POV TAG member) etc to reply :-)

>trying to make a myst-like game).

Good Luck: I really enjoyed Myst,  almost fully for it's graphics only -
when I had it a few years back.But, I wonder, would any of these
alternatives be low-polygon enough for games modelling?

Any advice or am I better of waiting for >the Moray export/import plugin?

Well, of course, a lot many options will be available after this comes out.
And, from what I've seen of 3dWin (unregistered) well worth the wait.

Hope this helps. If you can wait 15 days or so - I'll probably  be needing
some landscape work in what I'm doing now (architectural) - should be able
to come up with something better (If this doesn't work).

Regards,

--Anoop

PS: How do you export dxf from Leveller? - didn't know it had that option.
Also - I'm not sure - I remember seeing a tutorial on creating heightfields
with Leveller and Forester: in which case you could use this, along with
exporting from Moray and 'compositing'