POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Simple is beautiful : Re: Simple is beautiful Server Time
18 Aug 2024 04:12:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Simple is beautiful
From: Jan Walzer
Date: 20 Aug 2001 09:47:40
Message: <3b8114fc$1@news.povray.org>
"Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Jan Walzer <jan### [at] lzernet> wrote:
> : 1) the two spots on the black background(the brown and the white one):
Are
> : they only 2 simple spheres with emitting media, or is there a better Idea
> : behind them ?
> : Or are they two 'normal' spheres very near the camera, so they got
blurred
> : dramatically(But this would be very slow)?
>   I used a nice trick to get the light sources to "glow". The idea is not
[snip]
>   The camera is not looking at the scene, but in the exact opposite
direction.
> There's a plane in front of the camera with 100% mirror finish. The plane
Oh yes ... I expirienced this effect myself some time ago when I placed some
candles next the window.
It was a nice effect, especially when you calculated the focal blur for the
reflected objects, but still have the original objects visible in the
viewport (and you use some HQ fb-params)

>   Of course it has some side-effects: If you look closely at what the
spheres
> are reflecting, you'll see that they are reflecting themselves through this
> mirror.
I asked myself what they are reflecting there, but I decided it must be some
artifacts ..

> : 2) the shadows below the brown and the blueish sphere are looking odd to
> : me...
> : I don't know how many lights you have used(I counted 2, but I think there
are
> : at least 3), but it looks a bit dark to me... to dark... maybe there
should
> : be some fill-light  to show, there is no hole below these spheres ...
>
>   There are just two light sources, those which are glowing.
>   The shadows might look a bit odd because the light sources are so close
> to the spheres.
But now, knowing of the mirror, the shadows in their relation to the
lightsources are making sense

> : but as a hole: nice pic ... can we expect a higher resolution ???
>
>   There's a 640x480 version at http://iki.fi/warp/pics/
>
>   I can also render a bigger one (eg. 1024x768) if you want.
1152x864 ?

But if you open the sources I would render it myself in 2400x1800 and
V(ery)HQ fb-params ;)

--
Jan Walzer <jan### [at] lzernet>