POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : 64 bit or 32 bit? : Re: 64 bit or 32 bit? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:23:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 64 bit or 32 bit?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 3 Aug 2001 09:08:57
Message: <3b6aa269@news.povray.org>
In article <3B6A8F00.35718D67@gmx.net> , Thomas <tho### [at] gmxnet>  wrote:

> Are you sure that the ABI of AIX and Mac is similar enough to make sure that
> it doesn't cause any problems? The PowerPC ABI for embedded application is
> different AFAIK ( the one generated by the Metaware compiler)

When Apple ported Mac OS from 68K to PowerPC they used IBM compilers and AIX
at first.  For this reason the format is the same.  In fact it is so similar
that I can still generate code for Power processors with Apples own PowerPC
compiler (which is unfortunately not really supported anymore).  If I had
the right libraries I could probably even compile and link AIX applications
on a Mac!

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde