POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : 64 bit or 32 bit? : Re: 64 bit or 32 bit? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:27:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 64 bit or 32 bit?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 2 Aug 2001 08:49:07
Message: <3b694c43@news.povray.org>
In article <3B6### [at] gmxnet> , Thomas <tho### [at] gmxnet>  wrote:

> It produces 32 bit XCOFF object files and can run the code as well. I compiled
> it for Power processors but I can compile it for PowerPC as well but I don't
> think it does 750 or 7400 code, just 604 code.

Hmm, 604 should do fine.  The FPUs in the 604 and 7xx PowerPCs are not much
different in execution time as that it should be a major problem, I think.

Only that the 604 can dispatch 4 (AFAIK) instructions per clock cycle while
all 7xx except the 7450 can only dispatch three instructions per clock
cycle.  But I suspect the major problem with CodeWarrior is that it doesn't
schedule FPU instructions at all (i.e. interleave FPU and integer
instructions, not even float load/stores), so any improvement in that part
of the code should outweigh the possible slowdowns in the rare case that
four instructions can really be dispatched in one cycle...

    Thorsten

PS: In theory Macs should emulate all Power 32 bit instructions.  Of course
it would slow down things :-)

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde