POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : 64 bit or 32 bit? : Re: 64 bit or 32 bit? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:30:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 64 bit or 32 bit?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 1 Aug 2001 13:11:29
Message: <3b683841@news.povray.org>
In article <3B6### [at] gmxnet> , Thomas <tho### [at] gmxnet>  wrote:

> I finally managed to get the IBM xlc compiler on AIX to compile povray
> (See my note in povray.unix) and I was going through the options and saw
> that I can generate 64 bit code and 32 bit code, any clue if this will
> make a difference to pov's performance? Or will will it have any other
> side effect's?

POV-Ray needs only 32 bit ints, so I would expect that with 64 bit ints you
waste a lot of memory bandwidth.

> And BTW has anyone ever run pov on Itanium machine?

No.  If you have one, some benchmarks would be interesting!

> apparently they are pretty good at floating point operations?

I read the same somewhere.  It apparently beats the Alpha (RIP)...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde