POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : What ARE isosurfaces? : Re: What ARE isosurfaces? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 06:19:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What ARE isosurfaces?
From: Tom Melly
Date: 31 Jul 2001 04:52:07
Message: <3b6671b7$1@news.povray.org>
"Mark M. Wilson" <mmw### [at] ncsldcrstatencus> wrote in message
> Could someone explain them to a new user, not just to POV-Ray, but
> raytracing and any type of computer graphics at all? In more-or-less
> plain English?
> --Mark M. Wilson

Probably the simplest iso-surface is a plane. The function for it would be y -
i.e. "create a surface at all points where y=0"

A sphere is still pretty straight forward: sqr(x) + sqr(y) + sqr(z) - 1, i.e.
"create a surface where the square of x plus the square of y plus the square of
z minus 1 = 0".

If you're a math-idiot like me, the best way to understand why this works is to
do the math on a few easy points, for example (1,0,0), (-1,0,0), (0,1,0), etc.