POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Why I still dualboot : Re: Why I still dualboot Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:31:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why I still dualboot
From: Risto Varanka
Date: 22 Jul 2001 12:28:49
Message: <3b5aff41@news.povray.org>
October <ext### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> I've recently upgraded to Mandrake 8.0 and I LOVE it.

> I'm running it on a dual OS boot though, with Win98 (XP scares me but
> that's a different topic).   Why?

> I find myself booting into windows for only TWO things anymore:

> playing games (WINE has potential but isn't there quite yet)

Had to respond because nobody seemed to address the second reason ;)
There's quite a few Linux native games available from Loki and others,
see http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/Computer/Linux/Games.shtml for
more info. I've been using Linux as my primary gaming platform since
decent NVidia 3d drivers came out (about a year now).

> working with PoVray

> I'm not an experienced user with Linux yet so I still find it much easier
> to boot into windows and use the provided GUI editor there.  I read
> somewhere that an X gui editor for pov may be included in a future
> release and so I am posting this...  Such a thing would give me (and many
> others) one less reason to use MS products at all.

Well, why not learn some text editors and nice command-line utilities,
not to mention a scripting language, like Python? Lots of power
to you to make your Povray visions come true.

Or... do available (UNIX) GUIs for Povray offer some power that goes
beyond what you can get as text-based? Guess I'm the command-line man,
using computers from the keyboard since I got that C-64 umm... 20 years
ago or so? Might still be worth looking, though :-,

--
Risto Varanka