POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Programmng a Sparse Data Structure : Re: Programmng a Sparse Data Structure Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:22:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programmng a Sparse Data Structure
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 20 Jul 2001 08:31:01
Message: <3b582485@news.povray.org>

> In article <3b5453ba@news.povray.org> , Geoff Wedig
> <wed### [at] darwinepbicwruedu>  wrote:

>> Or, maybe there's something already out there.  Does anyone know of such a
>> data structure that I could use

> A map can be represented as a tree.  While in C++ the the implementation is
> an detail you unlikely need to be concerned about and it doesn't have to be
> a tree, but could be a more efficient data structure, in this case a binary
> tree will do fine and con always be optimized later.

I know.  But I hate coding simple data structures.  It's just far too much
work when there're probably easier ways.

 Even better, there is
> be plenty of code out there for binary trees, probably even on your harddisk
> :-)

Yeah, but I don't know of a good one.  And actually, since I don't think
such a thing comes with cygwin (except as c++), I don't think so.  Maybe
over on my linux drive, but I'd have no idea where to look.

What I've done is separated out the section that needs a map, and compiled
that under c++.  It may need to be changed if I ever want to release this
patch, but I'll worry about it then.

Geoff