POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sun behind cloud: test of media/light color interaction : Re: Sun behind cloud: test of media/light color interaction Server Time
18 Aug 2024 00:17:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sun behind cloud: test of media/light color interaction
From: Bob H
Date: 19 Jul 2001 23:24:46
Message: <3b57a47e$1@news.povray.org>
I used the "late afternoon" or "early morning" light color, I forget now.
The atmospheric media really changed things far as cloud color went but I
just adjusted it all again and uploaded.  Figured anybody would change it
all anyhow.

> The changes in brightness inside the cloud could be smoother, also the
> coloring seems strange, the bright parts of the rim are yellow-green while
> the dark middle of the cloud is red.

I think increasing samples might help it, used a pretty low number (about
the layering look).  Then again, using less samples actually removes the
stepping some too.  I wanted it to look turbulent though, and not smoothed
out.  Some real stormy clouds before the rain I've often seen were my
inspiration.

> And of course the sky directly around the sun should be brighter, how
> about a glow?

Change the atmosphere media to use scattering type 2 instead and it will
"glow"  :-)  which also means you'd need to compensate and lower the
scattering.
Type 5 is nice I think:  scattering {5,<.03,.025,.02> eccentricity .33
extinction .9}

> Apart from those minor things it looks really nice.

Btw, the eccentricity value will change the cloud itself considerably.
Lower is less silver-lined, higher is moreso.
Never minor stuff when it's endlessly adjustable I guess.  Thanks for
pointing those things out.

Bob H.