POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Slackware 8.0 : Re: Slackware 8.0 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:21:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Slackware 8.0
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 16 Jul 2001 19:25:39
Message: <3b5377f3@news.povray.org>
In article <2pr6lts959u4t1jdm1bs4bk6bjkohds7j7@4ax.com> , Peter Popov
<pet### [at] vipbg>  wrote:

>>The average Mac OS takes 10 minutes ;-)
>
> A custom installation?

Yes.  The trick is that with Mac OS you setup everything before the install,
not during it.  I find it very annoying to have to sit next to a computer
for an hour just to press a button every once in a while.

> It ran perfectly fine right from the beginning.

So you have very "standard" hardware?  Last summer I installed a Linux just
for "fun".  It was no fun and took much longer than a Windows NT install.
In particular I missed any useful documentation.  Nothing was straight
forward as one would expect and it would never keep its TCP/IP configuration
I found it very annoying and removed it after three month (by that time my
father wanted the partition back).

> Of course, with Linux you can tweak and tune all you like.

I know.  I was more up to any improvements in the default installation.  I
don't to have to tweak the system for weeks until I can use it.  I am not
interested in learning the setup of Linux after all.  And I am planning
another install in a PC emulation on Macs in order to run apache/mysql/php.

So my major concern is if it makes sense to install a system in less than an
hour and have it up and running well.  I wouldn't even need X-windows, I
just need it to boot quickly and it should be easy to turn on/off what I
want with some tool rather than hacking configuration files.  It has to be
fool-proof because I never read any documentation...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde