POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.programming : new pattern simulating a wall of interlocking rectangular stones of unequal size : Re: new pattern simulating a wall of interlocking rectangular stones of unequal size Server Time
2 May 2024 14:57:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: new pattern simulating a wall of interlocking rectangular stones of unequal size
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 16 Jul 2001 08:55:36
Message: <3b52e448@news.povray.org>
Jim Snow <jsn### [at] csgeorgefoxedu> wrote:

> Geoff Wedig <wed### [at] darwinepbicwruedu> wrote in article
> <3b4ef7c6@news.povray.org>...
>> Very interesting.  Have you seen my isosurface stone walling code?  It
> looks
>> to be doing similar sorts of things, though I think mine is a little bit
>> more intelligent (in that it does things as a stone mason might do, like
>> making sure stones are wider than tall, etc)  It's slow, since it's in
> pov
>> native code, and then uses iso surfaces, but on the other hand, allows
> for
>> lots of nifty stuff like roughing up the surface and morphing it into
> cones
>> and cylinders and such by changing the iso function.
>>
>> I haven't looked at your code since I'm pretty much a novice to the POV
>> source.
>>
>> Geoff
>>

> Where can I find this code?

It's never been publically released, due to lack of docs.  But it's pretty
well commented.  It started out as an isosurface update to the mur.inc, but
then I decided that the algorithm used in mur.inc was inadequate for my
needs.  If you want a copy, let me know and I'll send you the files.

> By the way, you can make the stones tend to be more wide than high and vice
> versa with my algorithm by tweaking some numbers in the c code.  I was
> thinking of using my function in an isosurface, but I haven't really
> figured out how isosurfaces work.

They're not as hard as they seem to be at first glance.  I've become quite
enamored with them.  But there is a learning curve, mostly due to a lot of
parameters that, without a good idea of how they work, don't make much
sense.

Geoff