POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : I don't understand media : Re: I don't understand media Server Time
5 Sep 2024 08:16:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I don't understand media
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 5 Jul 2001 01:55:12
Message: <3b440140@news.povray.org>
"Jason Jong" <nos### [at] redshiftcom> wrote in message
> Am I the only one who finds media utterly incomprehensible? I want to make
> glow effect, with a bright center and a dimmer exterior. So far, I've only
> succeeded in making a dark circle. What am I doing wrong?

I also struggle with media, but in this case I can help

> sphere { <-2,2,0>, 1

Create your media container at the origin and translate as required

sphere {
 <0,0,0>,1
 translate <-2,5,0>
}

>   pigment { color rgbf<1, 1, 1, .9> }
>   finish { ambient 0 diffuse 0 }
>   interior {
>     media {     emission 1
>   samples 1, 10

You may want to tweak the sampling parameters, it looks a little grainy

>   density {
>     spherical
>     color_map {
>       [0.0 color rgb <0, 0, 0>]
>       [0.5 color rgb <.8, .8, .8>]
>       [1.0 color rgb <1, 1, 1>]
>     }
>   }
> }  }translate <0,3,0> hollow   }

Gail
* gsh### [at] monotixcoza                *   Step into the abyss,           *
* http://www.rucus.ru.ac.za/~gail/   *   and let go.          Babylon 5 *
* The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer *