POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : media and output_alpha ? : Re: media and output_alpha ? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 08:18:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: media and output_alpha ?
From: Elias Pschernig
Date: 3 Jul 2001 18:15:10
Message: <3b4243ee@news.povray.org>
> Aside from rendering you media container in black and white and using
> that as the alpha channel... I am afraid not much can be done within
> POV at this stage. Various techniques can be used to make POV render
> all your alpha for you, but I need to know more about your particular
> case.

It would really have been nice if it was supprted directly. I use it for some
animations with an alpha channel. (They will be used in a game to do some explosion
and light effects.) The black-and-white options would be better than nothing, i could
at least do something like smoke effects with media. (But would have no alpha channel
as well i guess.) Are there any documents with information for the other techniques ?
All i'd need is instead of just r, g and b for every pixel, also a component
specifying how transparent it is over the background.