POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Mesh Single Precision? : Re: Mesh Single Precision? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:21:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh Single Precision?
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 2 Jul 2001 14:07:34
Message: <3b40b866@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

> Geoff Wedig <wed### [at] darwinepbicwruedu> wrote:
> : Right now, that's the least of my worries.  I'm getting some really weird
> : behaviors which culminate in a segmentation fault from the triangles.  Some
> : kind of data corruption.  At this point, given the nature of my output, I'm
> : starting to suspect the compiler, which isn't a good thing.

>   If you start messing with meshes (pun intended), you'll get problems :)

>   I still don't know why my tesselation patch (which tesselates an object
> into a mesh) doesn't work. There's something REALLY odd with POV-Ray's mesh
> code, and nobody seems to fully understand it.

Oh, I'm getting there, slowly.  The mesh code isn't too hard to understand,
with a few eceptions.  I've already found one bug in there, or at least
something that could cause bugs (the initialize routine doesn't set all
the variables to null values, but I'm not sure if it affects anything in the
POV code, though it did affect *mine*)

What I'm thinking of doing is getting rid of the meshes interally.  I can do
my simulations on vertices with velocities and masses, then copy the results
into a mesh.  There's really no reason to use the mesh until the simulation
is finished.  Hopefully that'll clear up this memory issue.

Geoff