POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Mesh Single Precision? : Re: Mesh Single Precision? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:22:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh Single Precision?
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 28 Jun 2001 07:38:19
Message: <3b3b172a@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

> Geoff Wedig <wed### [at] darwinepbicwruedu> wrote:
> : So, anyone know why this is the way it is?

>   This is what I have wondered as well. The only reason I can think of
> is memory saving.
>   As this is not currently really necessary double precision could be feasible.
>   You can change the SNGL type to double (in frame.h) and see if it helps.

Yeah, but that'll change things in lots of other places.  I don't want to
make that kind of global switch.  I could just change it in the mesh code,
but I don't know the code very well, yet, and worried that it'd introduce
subtle bugs.

What I'm probably going to do is simulate using doubles.  After the
simulation is done, I can copy them into the float vector that the mesh
uses.  That way, I get the advantages of the extra precision when it's
necessary, but don't have to worry about it later.

Geoff