POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Mesh Single Precision? : Re: Mesh Single Precision? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:32:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh Single Precision?
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 28 Jun 2001 07:34:52
Message: <3b3b165c@news.povray.org>
David Buck <dav### [at] simberoncom> wrote:

> It's not related to your question, but how are you doing the simulation?  How
> small are your increments and why do they have to be small?

More or less the standard cloth simulation approach using a springlike
equation between points.  The increments don't have to be small, but larger
increments tend to cause unrealistic stretching and other errors. The
smaller the increments, the less likely there'll be an error where something
misses something else.

So far, other simulation glitches have had more of an effect on the values
than this, actually.  There's a lot of parameters to tweak.  But I've seen
this sort of thing in other simulations, so I know it might be a problem
later.

What I'm thinking of doing is using the standard vector while doing the
simulation, then just change it to the single precision when copying the
final results into the mesh.  It's not ideal, but it'd probably work.

Geoff