POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cube World : Re: Cube World Server Time
18 Aug 2024 04:21:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cube World
From: Peter Cracknell
Date: 23 Jun 2001 08:25:31
Message: <3b348abb@news.povray.org>
"Tek" <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote in message
> Right, what you're looking at is an isosurface (combining a box function
with
> ridgedmf and bozo), the sea is a cube (obviously), and the skydome is just
bozo
> with turbulence 100.
>
> I'd been playing around with some ideas on how to make an isosurface
planet, but
> this wasn't a development of that; it was a completely new scene (I
actually did
> it in my lunch break at work, without access to my earlier source code).
Believe
> it or not I knocked it together in about half an hour! It's a complete
fluke
> that it ended up looking so good, but now I've got it I'm going to develop
it :)

> Can anyone suggest a good way to texture it? I'm tempted to do it
procedurally,
> but that might restrict me a bit.

I like it a lot - I can't say I'm a big fan of the background, but I think
the planet itself is amazing... it has so much potential - you could either
try and implement photorealistic type texturing like isosurfaced water
embedded into the box with slope-dependant texturing for the land.  Or you
could have a wacky image with a variety of colours.

One other possibility is an animation - what about a view from the ground -
with sunset etc?

Peter Cracknell
www.petercracknell.com