POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Re: The Glass Tree WIP (11.0K) : Re: The Glass Tree WIP (11.0K) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 04:20:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Glass Tree WIP (11.0K)
From: The "D"
Date: 20 Jun 2001 02:17:46
Message: <3b30400a@news.povray.org>
"Andy Cocker" <big### [at] mariner9fsnetcouk> wrote in message
> The media in the light beam is very grainy: if you use MegaPOV then the
> scattering media is a lot snoother. The sky is very nice. The height_field
> mountains are a little rounded for my tastes. Also, are you using depth of
> field? I can't work out whether you are, or if it's lack of antialiasing
> that's making the nearer trees look grainy around the edges. If you're
using
> depth of field, you need to raise the blur_samples considerably (into the
> hundreds maybe).

I'm using the official POV 3.1g and I'm using scattering media (emmiting was
just too bright for the effect I wanted) I'll play with the settings a
little more and see if I can clean that up. The grainyness is probably the
result of the focal blur, I'll try raising the samples quite a bit. I only
used 4 on this render for the sake of render time. Also I'm thinking that
the media might also be partially to blame (since it's atmospheric media and
all) I'll tweak things and see what I can get.

> On an artistic level, I'd lower the camera a little so it's below the tops
> of the trees.. it will help them to look larger.

Will do

> Promising scene, keep working on it.

I plan on it, I also plan on at some point swapping out the glass tree for a
sword in a stone or something like that.

--
-The "D"
   If you only have a hammer, you tend to