POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Re: Flowing Water take 4 (985KB) : Re: Flowing Water take 4 (985KB) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 13:21:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Flowing Water take 4 (985KB)
From: Scott Hill
Date: 19 Jun 2001 10:21:04
Message: <3b2f5fd0@news.povray.org>
"Rune" <run### [at] mobilixnetdk> wrote in message
> "Scott Hill" wrote:
> > Well then, you just run the overall physics in your
> > external app, have it write out particle location and
> > velocity information, and keep the collision detection
> > in the POV script.
>
> Err, the particle locations etc. are directly dependent on the collisions.
> The collision detection is an integrated part of the system. It's not
> possible to calculate all the physics first and then the collisions later.

    Why ? Basically you run through the simulation physics, write an
intermediary set of particle locations, velocities, etc, out to a POV-script
readable file, launch the POV-script, which reads in these intermediary
values, computes collision detection and then writes the new values back out
to the intermediary file (which is then read back into the simulation app on
the next frame).

    Of course, one thing I realised last night, is this means you have to
render every frame of the simulation, but if I can get it working this way
I'll look at packaging it up in a patch and so be able to utilise POVs
internal trace logic, or I might then just leave it until I've got Pandora's
Box written (which will support _all_ of POVs primitives) and hook it into
that....

--
Scott Hill.
Software Engineer.

*Everything in this message/post is purely IMHO and no-one-else's*