POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Re: Flowing Water take 4 (985KB) : Re: Flowing Water take 4 (985KB) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 13:12:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Flowing Water take 4 (985KB)
From: Rune
Date: 18 Jun 2001 18:27:55
Message: <3b2e806b@news.povray.org>
"Scott Hill" wrote:
> "Rune" wrote:
>     Not really - you're already doing collision detection,
> of a sort, in your POV script, right ?

Yes I am. That's the point. In my POV script I have access to the surfaces
of the object through the trace function. In an external program I wouldn't
have access to the surfaces.

> Well then, you just run the overall physics in your
> external app, have it write out particle location and
> velocity information, and keep the collision detection
> in the POV script.

Err, the particle locations etc. are directly dependent on the collisions.
The collision detection is an integrated part of the system. It's not
possible to calculate all the physics first and then the collisions later.

>     That's the way my particle system is going to work

I don't know how you're going to implement it, but I expect you don't have
direct support for all POV-Ray objects for the collision detection?

> (seeing all this discussion about particle systems got
> me to thinking about them and then I just had to have
> a go at writing one - looking reasonable, so far, expect
> anims in p.b.i. soon....)

I'm certainly looking forward to that!

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated May 10)