POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Re: Flowing Water take 4 (985KB) : Re: Flowing Water take 4 (985KB) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 13:22:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Flowing Water take 4 (985KB)
From: Rune
Date: 17 Jun 2001 17:14:21
Message: <3b2d1dad@news.povray.org>
"Christoph Hormann" wrote:
> I must admit that your method seems rather strange

Maybe, maybe! How would I know, never having seen any material on the
subject I could compare it to? If anybody has a nice flowing algorithm that
is not "strange" I would be very interested in hearing about it!

How would you have expected the flowing algorithm to work?

> Maybe try moving upwards rather than in direction of
> the normal vector, this should be save for heightfields.

Sorry, I'm going for a 100% generic solution so I won't make any HF specific
workarounds. But I don't think that's where the problem is anyway.

> Furthermore an additional 'trace()' from 'OldLocation' to
> 'OldLocation_rotated' could avoid this "getting below the surface"

The OldLocation_rotated is irrelevant using my improved algorithm, as the
trace ray is not shot from there.

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated May 10)