POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : scatter plug in : Re: scatter plug in Server Time
6 Oct 2024 05:49:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: scatter plug in
From: Warp
Date: 11 Jun 2001 06:10:40
Message: <3b249920@news.povray.org>
I'm repeating myself, but I still wonder why is it so difficult to just
make a small scripting plug-in.
  People keep asking for plug-ins for this and that and other people are
making them. The plugin works exactly for that one thing it is made for
and nothing else, and if you want to make a slightly different thing which
the plug-in doesn't support, you are out of luck.
  If this continues, then over time we will have plug-ins and more plug-ins,
hundreds of them, thousands of them... Every one of them takes a considerable
amount of disk space and they only do what they are designed to do and
nothing else. You are still out of lack if you want a new feature.
  A simple scripting plug-in would be the perfect solution to this. Instead
of having hundreds or thousands of (Megabytes?) plug-ins, you just have
the most essential ones (those which require too complicated or too heavy
operations for a scripting language to do) and the rest can be done with
the scripting plug-in.
  People could just made scripts and use them and send them to others. If
someone needs a similar functionality, but a bit different, he can just
modify the script directly and get the desired functionality with minimal
work.
  This would be a lot more efficient and will save time and disk space to
everyone.

--
#macro N(D,I)#if(I<6)cylinder{M()#local D[I]=div(D[I],104);M().5,2pigment{
rgb M()}}N(D,(D[I]>99?I:I+1))#end#end#macro M()<mod(D[I],13)-6,mod(div(D[I