POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Curve surfaces for glGobbler : Re: Curve surfaces for glGobbler Server Time
5 Sep 2024 08:18:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Curve surfaces for glGobbler
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 8 Jun 2001 01:29:13
Message: <3b2062a9@news.povray.org>
"Simon Lemieux" <lem### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> Okay, I'll probably finish this game all in one night as usual.  At least
for
> gameplay and interface.  Then I'll work out with the sounds...
>
> But I've been trying to make a good POV-Ray snake, and all I could do is
the
> head after a few hours of play with the blob, then I tried adding the body
with
> blobed cylinders and it would never give the results I would like to...
>
> I think I'll try making a straight snake then cut it into pieces and curve
these
> parts using Chris' bend #include file...
>
> But I was wondering as for tricks hints, since I was thinking on animating
it,
> for the movement, and other things like when it eats a chunk of food, or
when it
> crashes on a rock (I thought about making the snake go Inside-out and eat
itself
> when it collision with something, so it Never stops moving and you don't
see it
> clearly when it loses some length unit in the process ;)...
>
> Any documentation or tutorial for making such kind of object would be very
> appreciated!

The Object Bender will allow you to (relatively) smoothly bend/twist your
object and its texture, no matter how you construct it.  As an alternative,
though, the Spline Macro File might give you (literally!) more flexibility:

   http://www.geocities.com/ccolefax/spline/

You should be able to create a blob spline object that gives a very smooth
surface, blending the texture as it follows the snake's body (and please
feel free to email any questions or cries for help...).