POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : IRTC WIP take 4 (250 kb) : Re: IRTC WIP take 4 (250 kb) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 12:20:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC WIP take 4 (250 kb)
From: Robert J Becraft
Date: 6 Jun 2001 17:49:52
Message: <3b1ea580@news.povray.org>
Where are the "parts" from the spider proto-types?  There is nothing on the
workbench that tells me that the spider was constructed or where it came
from.  The image on the video monitor seems to imply that either design or
control is via a computer (somewhere).

I've found once you design objects, it is simple to replicate with loops and
random placement to produce absolute disarray.  This image suffers from
being TOO stiff, everything looks carefully placed, not randomly dumped on a
work surface.

If the spider is the object of construction or work, there are NO tools
suitable for working on such a delicate robotic object anywhere on the
workbench. The coil of wire looks out of place because it is neither fine
enough for the delicate engineering required in the robotic spider, nor is
there anything that would fit this bill.

Is the water there because someone is drinking it or is it part of the
"experiment"?

With such a short ethernet connection, it seems implausable that any kind of
meaningful experiment can ever occur with a robotic spider... perhaps
interjecting a scaled/recolored coil of wire like that on the bench to give
the impression of additional length on the cable would produce a nicer
effect.

There is a sterile overall tone to the picture.  This is partially due to
the isolation of all the objects from one another.  On a real workbench,
objects will overlap each other, blocking and obscuring parts of the objects
behind them.  This overlapping adds to the reality of the whole scene.  I
would take the whole scene and half the distances between the objects
bringing them all closer together.

Why not make the robotic spider about 4 times as big as he is with an open
panel showing components inside that match components on the workbench.
Turn the spider a bit towards the viewer and have his eyes "ON" implying
that there is perhaps more going on in that invention than the inventor
wanted.... perhaps the ethernet connection isn't connected anymore... the
monitor can have an error window on it imparting information about "What"
may be amiss in the lab.

Artistic merit requires that the image have a cohesiveness that binds it to
a story wether the story is told or implied by the content of the image.  We
all know that POVRAY does a fantastic job at creating reality.  However, as
real as a picture "LOOKS", it may not tell a realistic story unless there is
a synchronization and binding of the objects in the scene.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,
Robert J Becraft
aka cas### [at] aolcom