POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Re: Gravity Well 3 : Re: Gravity Well 3 Server Time
20 Jul 2024 07:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gravity Well 3
From: Bob H
Date: 1 Jun 2001 13:01:03
Message: <3b17ca4f@news.povray.org>
Yes, the grid really improves it.  Shows the third dimension better.

I took the snipet of script you posted and made the solar system with
approx. correct masses and distances.  Not much to look at, as you might
guess, because of proportion.
At one point I had a fair gravity well for the Sun when the planets were
closer in and just basically exagerated; it spread wide and shallow.  I
didn't save the setup so now I have to try and go back to that or come up
with some other way.

Used Earth as the basis for units, E=1.  The Sun is so overpowering though
that all the inner planets get engulfed.  The Moon doesn't even show up
within Earth's G-well.
Kept it to a gradient y pigment pattern, just repeated a lot which is part
of the obscuration trouble I think.

I see you have Mars' orbit at 1 revolution to Earth's 2.  I've managed to
get the orbit timings done easily enough but the eccentricity is beyond me
right now so I guessed at it.

As you can tell I'm having fun playing with this sort of thing.

Bob H.