POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : media ?s : Re: media ?s Server Time
5 Sep 2024 14:22:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: media ?s
From: Rune
Date: 31 May 2001 15:36:32
Message: <3b169d40@news.povray.org>
"Warp" wrote:
> Simon wrote:
> : So if you want to get the same result after
> : scaling you should do something like this :
> : ...
> : density{yourcolor*1/scalevalue}
>
>   But this is exactly what I don't want to be forced to do.

I too have been annoyed by the current behavior, but when thinking about it
I think it's more logical this way after all.

Think about object attenuation. Using fade_power and fade_distance we can
simulate attenuation. It is a property of the material the object is made
of. If we scale the object twice as big, then, like in real life, the
attenuation is stronger because the light travels through more of it. That
is logical.

Why should media be any different? Media is also a property of the material,
and in reality it would be stronger when it is larger. Just take any colored
liquid as an example.

IMHO the current behavior should be continued.

But the current method does have problems too, so a switch to change between
behaviors would be even better...

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated May 10)