POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : sPatch, Moray & csg : Re: sPatch, Moray & csg Server Time
6 Oct 2024 06:16:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sPatch, Moray & csg
From: Anoop Kumar
Date: 31 May 2001 10:36:22
Message: <3b1656e6@news.povray.org>
Lutz Kretzschmar wrote in message ...

>> So, couldn't Moray export the *results* as a solid mesh
>But then Moray would be undoing exactly what it wants to avoid ->
>turning everything into triangles. Moray is NOT a triangle modeller,
>which is what is required to do any sort of vertex editing. In
>POV-Ray/Moray there are no vertices to edit when you are working with
>CSG.
>> Would this mean a major reworking? And wouldn't it be worth it,
combining
>> the power .....
>That said, I do agree, however, that triangle modelling part of Moray
>would be very useful in many ways. But look at the triangle modellers
>out there, what they offer (and what they cost) and you can clearly
>see that it's going to be a bit difficult to offer this as a part of
>Moray....

That's true, Moray does offer a lot of value for it's cost. Unfortunately
some of it's values are different from mine:(

>> I really would love to use Moray for my normal (architectural) work
>> but it's lack of spline support (& vertex editing) are discouraging.
>Hmmmm, I would have thought that architectural work is ideally suited
>to using CSG.....

CSG is very important, but the normal mode of working would be somthing
like this: 1).import plan (splines) from CAD program (unless, like, say,
Rhino
it combines both precision with modelling ease); 2) extrude walls to proper
ht/loft wall section along plan; mesh/vertex-edit & difference your
inner-wall mass from the outer-wall mass. 3) CSG your window/doors etc.
Also
lofting would be very useful for making complicated sloped-roofs.

Talking of splines, would there be any proposal for making the translated
splines realtime? Also, perhaps, (translated) nested spline shapes (prisms)
as in Pov-Ray? This would make the modelling of ordinary (simple-section)
walls easier to do.

Lastly, (& most important), export to sPatch/HamaPatch. Between
the two of them (Moray & HamaPatch) practically all bases should be
covered, I feel.

Thanks again,

& Regards
-Anoop