POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : media ?s : Re: media ?s Server Time
5 Sep 2024 08:15:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: media ?s
From: Bob H
Date: 30 May 2001 15:02:56
Message: <3b1543e0@news.povray.org>
"Chris Huff" <chr### [at] maccom> wrote in message
news:chr### [at] povrayorg...
> In article <3b142b12@news.povray.org>, "Bob H." <omn### [at] msncom>
> wrote:
>
> > Map indices 0 to 1 are initially one POV unit.
>
> What do you mean here? The map indices are just mapped to the density
> pattern like any other map...they don't necessarily correspond to units
> of distance.

Sure.  Doesn't a gradient x pattern coorespond to 0*x to 1*x and then repeat
at 1 unit intervals?  Of course it does.  However not all patterns are of a
linear nature to measure like that one, which is what I said.  So that the
pattern defaults to 1 unit until rescaled.

> > Be aware that scaling of the media object as a whole, by contrast,
requires
> > that you scale the media inversely.
>
> This doesn't make sense either...I assume you are talking about scaling
> the density of the media. The media feature uses the distance travelled
> through the media, ignoring any effects scale would have, so you have to
> scale the densities to get two objects of different sizes to look the
> same.

Very imprecise description I gave there, sorry.

Bob H.