POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : sPatch, Moray & csg : Re: sPatch, Moray & csg Server Time
6 Oct 2024 06:02:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sPatch, Moray & csg
From: Anoop Kumar
Date: 30 May 2001 10:51:48
Message: <3b150904@news.povray.org>
Thanks for the reply. (Unfortunately) it confirms what Peter Cracknell
wrote, while making it even more understandable. Just a few thoughts
of my own:

Jamie Davison wrote in message ...
>I'll let you have my take on the subject.
>
>To the best of my knowledge, POV is incapable of calculating CSG
>differences or merges using patches...

>The Moray 3d preview works by reducing everything to triangles, and can
>thus predict (in this case, incorrectly) what it thinks the CSG would
>look like...

True. But Megapov *can* do CSGs using either the mesh or the mesh2
format.So, couldn't (and pardon me if I put my foot in my mouth through
ignorance) Moray export the *results* as a solid mesh (mesh/mesh2 with
'inside_vector ' enabled). I believe Peak3d does something similar.
Would this mean a major reworking? And wouldn't it be worth it, combining
the
power of both sPatch/ Hamapatch (especially now that you *can* do
lofts/skinning in HamaPatch using the AMexport/AMLoft utility?

Which brings me back to my second pt: Would there be a utility  which would
allow me to export to sPatch so that I can use the power of both. I really
would love to use Moray for my normal (architectural) work but it's lack of
spline support (& vertex editing) are discouraging. Otherwise, in many
ways, it is a truly wonderful program; especially int it's Pov-Ray
interface and handling of CSGs.

Sorry for rambling. And thanks again, both of you, for your clarifications.

Regards,
-Anoop