POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : POV-Ray speed under Linux : Re: POV-Ray speed under Linux Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:22:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray speed under Linux
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 29 May 2001 13:28:05
Message: <3b13dc25$1@news.povray.org>
"Adrien Beau" <adr### [at] sycomorefr> wrote:

> I spent some time investigating the problem, and the immediate conclusion
> is that it is true. I then tried to compile POV-Ray for a better speed,
> with some results, but not that great.

It's been a while since I did Windows vs Linux POV benchmars, but IIRC after
tweaking gcc settings and recompiling, I got concistently better results in
Linux.

With mostly CPU-intensive scenes (like skyvase or the various media example
scenes) the improvement was pretty marginal, e.g. skyvase @ 640x480 aa0.3
takes 25 seconds under Linux and 28 seconds under Windows.
With scenes that involved a lot of memory I/O (like the recursive macro
examples) I found Linux to be significantly faster, as much as 50% with
parsing and 15-20% with rendering.

This holds true for both my old Celeron and the new Duron (with very minor
changes to the gcc settings for the Duron compile).

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee
Home page http://www.hot.ee/margusrt