POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : POV-Ray speed under Linux : Re: POV-Ray speed under Linux Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:20:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray speed under Linux
From: Daniel Michalik
Date: 28 May 2001 06:25:05
Message: <3b122781@news.povray.org>
Try also other scenes. Last time I experimented with POV compiler i obtained
following cross situation:
- skyvase is faster on Linux then on Windows (about 20%)
- woodbox is faster on Windows then on Linux (about 15%)

skyvase is in my opinion obsolete benchmark because scene is quite simple
and on fast machines measures eficiency of underlaying IO subsystem, wchich
is on Linux faster :-)
woodbox is computationally more intensive and that is why Windows version is
better.

About 15%-20% improvement can be done with upgrade to newer Linux
distribution - newer gcc and gnu-lib:
woodbox under:
  RedHat 6.2 - 45 sec
  RedHat 7.0 - 35 sec