POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : #declares and memory management : Re: #declares and memory management Server Time
18 Aug 2024 14:21:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: #declares and memory management
From: Tony[B]
Date: 27 May 2001 10:47:46
Message: <3b111392@news.povray.org>
> If you start coding the patch from the scratch,
> with no experience at all, you'll probably make things in 50 lines which
> could be made in 5 lines much more efficiently and with a lot less trouble
and
> work.

I plan to finish reading the book for my class before even looking at the
POV-Ray sources. I can compile a one *.C file with a few *.H files in the
mix, but I haven't the foggiest about multiple *.C file programs. I'll get
to it when I feel up to the task. I know I won't make the greatest or most
efficient program, but I'll give it a try at least. My book includes some
excellent examples, including a big (1000+) line program that you work
through chapter by chapter at the end of each. It's for controlling an
elevator. Very interesting problem. Much more complex than it seems at the
beginning. My book also has tons of little tips strewn throughout from a
performance perspective (speed) and a software-engineering perspective
(reusability/portability). I like this book. I trust I'll learn a lot from
it. I respect your opinion, but I think I'll do it my way. OK? :)