POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : #declares and memory management : Re: #declares and memory management Server Time
18 Aug 2024 14:17:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: #declares and memory management
From: Chris Huff
Date: 26 May 2001 10:41:14
Message: <3b0fc08a@news.povray.org>
Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:

> I seem to recall Chris H. started doing patches not so long ago and with
> little to no C or C++ experience. If Chris can do it so can you.

This is true, when I started patching, my only C experience was from a
C++ course, not even a very good one: "Learn C++ in 21 Days".

Someone, I think it was Michael Paul (who wrote the angle-dependant
reflection patch and maintained WyzPOV) or Ron Parker helped me get
started by explaining how to write a simple pattern patch, from there,
I just worked by looking at existing source code and copying from it.

I wrote a simple tutorial, a draft version of which is in the
povray.binaries.tutorials group, which may be useful, though it is
only for patching the official version...the changes needed to modify
MegaPOV shouldn't be difficult to figure out, though.

--
Christopher James Huff - chr### [at] maccom
Home Page: http://homepage.mac.com/chrishuff/