POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : #declares and memory management : Re: #declares and memory management Server Time
18 Aug 2024 16:18:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: #declares and memory management
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 25 May 2001 10:17:02
Message: <3b0e695e@news.povray.org>
In article <3B0E4863.4D55F28E@gmx.de> , Christoph Hormann
<chr### [at] gmxde>  wrote:

> The first attempts to writing patches will probably always be quite clumsy
> and for someone else who wants to extend them or incorporate them into his
> own patch it will probably often be easier to just rewrite it from scratch

And this is a problem!  Half of the patches in MegaPOV fall into this
category.  Either a specific patch was a quick hack, done with little
consideration, or, some of the bigger patches were reasonably well
implemented, but never finished, debugged, cleaned up or at least commented.

It is always harder to fix code written by someone else, and it is close to
impossible if the code is not commented and implements an unknown algorithm
(because neither code nor comments tell you anything about it).  Not to
mention that it takes an awful lot of time.  And so I continue to look into
the 'parametric' object code which refuses to work in 3.5...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.