POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP- Robo Cat (82kb) : Re: WIP- Robo Cat (82kb) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 14:18:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP- Robo Cat (82kb)
From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 19 May 2001 12:45:15
Message: <3b06a31b$1@news.povray.org>
"Rick [Kitty5]" <ric### [at] kitty5com> wrote in message
> > The lack of a tail
> > was simply the lack of a need to add one. After all, a cat uses a tail
for
> > maintaining its balance. A robotic cat would not have a true need for
one.

> yes it would - nature has decided that cats work well with tails

    Tell that to Bobcats...

    Nature has needs that Robotics does not. Most cats use their tails as
signaling devices in social and mating actions. Only a few, the Cheetah
being the most notable example, have any other use for their tail. In fact,
I have seen cats lose their prey because their flicking tail gave them away.
Here in Florida, a strain of seaside cat has developed that predominately
has a stub tail. I suspect it is because they catch more lizards. The mating
purpose of the tail is superceded by the hunting needs.

    Robot cats would need no tail unless there was a purpose that the
designer added just for that...